The Ledger Nano S and X are hardware wallets that support multiple cryptocurrencies, including Symbol.
A hardware wallet is a type of cryptocurrency wallet where you can store your private keys on a physical device. It’s a secure and simultaneously user-friendly way to access your coins, as the private key is stored on the device and doesn’t get leaked. Your coins are safe even when connected to an infected or malicious computer or a phishing/scam web page.
Symbol Wallet for Desktop allows you to send and receive Symbol assets using a Ledger hardware wallet. Along with providing support for XYM, the Ledger device can also offer support for tokens created on the Symbol blockchain.
- Your Ledger device has been initialized. Select and click your model below for instructions on how to set up your device.
a. Ledger device S
b. Ledger device X
- Your Ledger device’s firmware is up to date. Select and click your model below for instructions on how to update your device’s firmware.
a. Ledger device S
b. Ledger device X
- Ledger Live application is installed. Click here for instructions on how to get started.
- Symbol Wallet for Desktop is installed.
Step 0: Enable Developer mode in Ledger Live
- Launch the Ledger Live app.
- Click the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Click Experimental Features tab.
- Enable Developer mode.
Step 1: Install Symbol app on Ledger device
- Launch the Ledger Live app, then click Manager in the left side panel.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- Allow the Manager on your device by pressing both the left and right buttons simultaneously.
- Find Symbol in the App catalog.
- Click the Install button.
NOTE: Once you have completed the Symbol app installation, you may now disable the Developer mode from Step 0.
Step 2: Open Symbol app on Ledger device
- Find the Symbol app in your Ledger device by pressing the left and right buttons.
- Press both left and right buttons simultaneously to open the Symbol app.
Step 3: Launch the Symbol Wallet
- Launch the Symbol Wallet.
- Click the Create a new profile?
- Click the Access Ledger button. Make sure the Symbol app is loaded on your Ledger device.
- Enter a profile name, select MAIN_NET network, enter a password and then click the Next button. A popup will appear to check your Ledger device for verification.
- Once your profile has been created, click the Next button to continue. Note that all transactions must be confirmed via your Ledger device NOT with your password.
Step 4: Verify Symbol address in the Ledger device
- Press the right button of your Ledger device to verify your address. This is the Symbol (XYM) address generated by the device synced to the Symbol Wallet.
- Review your Symbol address, then press the right button. In this tutorial, the Symbol address is shown below.
- Press both left and right buttons simultaneously to approve.
Step 5: Send and receive XYM in the Ledger device
After completing the steps mentioned above, navigate to the Symbol Wallet dashboard by clicking Home in the left side panel.
The dashboard shows all the transactions coming in and out of your Ledger device, your account balance, assets and block information.
IMPORTANT: When initializing a transaction in your Symbol Wallet, always verify if the data (e.g. Symbol address, XYM amount) matches with the corresponding data displayed on your Ledger device. If the two data match, you can proceed with the transaction; otherwise, you should NOT continue.
How to receive XYM
- Click Accounts in the left side panel.
- Click the Show on Ledger button to verify your Symbol address. If the address in your Symbol Wallet matches with the address in your Ledger device, you can rest assured that it is true and genuine.
- Once verified, you can now share your Symbol address with the sender.
How to send XYM
- Click Transfer.
- Fill out the required fields.
a. To – the receiver’s XYM address.
b. Amount of XYM – the amount you are sending to the receiver.
- Click the Send button. Note that there will be a fee for every transaction made.
- Review each transaction detail in your Ledger device and press the right button to continue.
a. Recipient’s Symbol address
b. Transaction Type
- If all data are correct, press both the left and right buttons simultaneously to approve and sign the transaction.
How to view transaction details
As mentioned above, you can view all the transactions coming in and out of your Ledger device through the Symbol Wallet dashboard.
- Go to Dashboard.
- Click the transaction you want to view.
You can also view the transaction details in the Symbol Blockchain Explorer by using the Hash data.
Ledger device integration allows you to use the following Symbol Wallet features:
- Send transactions
- Sign/Send multi-signature transactions
- Create/Edit multi-signature accounts
- Create/Edit namespaces
- Create/Edit mosaics
- Enable delegated harvesting
- Add/Remove aliases for account and mosaics
- Add metadata to account/mosaic/namespace
- Add/Remove account restrictions
For technical support, you may reach us at:
Email: [email protected]